Collecting payments from patients who have taken the services of a hospital or a healthcare facility is a very tough job that creates bottlenecks in the revenue cycle management of the facility. To avoid any kind of dues from patients and have a smooth functioning of the facility requires some best practices in the revenue cycle management which require consistent and continuing measures adopted by the facility. For this, some common mistakes that take place have to be identified and rectified. It can be noticed that usually, a common billing mistake is related to a certain payer’s rules and regulations or the government rules and regulations. Some other common mistakes revolve around not obtaining proper authorizations and coding errors.
After identifying the common mistakes, it is equally important to identify the solutions to these mistakes and try to minimize them. For this, it is important that a healthcare facility hires an efficient revenue cycle management services provider. Here are some best practices that ought to be followed by the professionals in medical billing jobs and other administrative staff of the healthcare facility that bring in operational efficiencies and profitability to the healthcare facility.
- Best practices should start with registration process only. At the time of registering a patient’s details for an appointment or medical procedures the front-end staff of the facility should work smartly and collect all the required details of the patient.
- Before scheduling procedures, the staff should be able to guide the patients or their attendants as to what are medical costs of the procedure, the insurance benefits they can avail and their financial responsibility if any over and above the insurance coverage.
- Optimum utilization of data analytics should be employed to identify the claim denials and rejections apart from the traditional methods. Professional revenue cycle management services providers will be able to guide the facility management in identifying and rectifying the reasons for the claim denials.
- Post the identification of reasons for claims denials, the professionals in medical billing jobs should be educated about the appropriate claim denial management strategies and it should be taken care that these are implemented properly.
- Attention should be paid to every minute detail regarding any billing complaint raised by a patient.
- Employees should be made aware of their responsibility in preventing any claims and they should be made accountable to reach the revenue cycle benchmarks.
Employees should be made aware of their responsibility in preventing any claims and they should be made accountable to reach the revenue cycle benchmarks.