Since the Internet is changing the game for every industry, it’s no surprise that medical coding and billing is now hugely dependent on the Internet. In fact, several changes in healthcare industry are majorly cornering the medical coders in very many ways. The internet is pretty much the only long-term solution.
To cite an example, every industry has moved from paper work to electronic records. Infact, it is a costly affair nowadays to go for printed material of any kind – both on environment and our pockets! Hence, the use of electronic documents has increased manifold, more so in medical coding after the advent of ICD-10.
After ICD-10-CM replaced ICD-9-CM, the codes have increased from 17,000 to approx 155,000 and include elaborate revisions including:
Codes are more specific and they cover new conditions/diseases and procedures.
- The new system will ensure more efficient payment for services rendered.
- Easier evaluation of Medical outcomes/processes.
- The records will be very detailed.
- Coders/billers have to comply with HIPAA 5010
- Keeping the above elaborate changes in mind, coders need to be provided with better coding tools to support the code selection process. Organizations that work on software tool building and code searching software created programs that will support the billers and coders.
- Let us look at a few benefits of such tools.
- Medical terminology tutorials and lookups
- Very popular coding texts – now online!
- Governmental guidelines .
- Guidance about compliance.
- Industry news updates through newsletters etc.
- Updates on code changes/current codes.
Going by the huge galore of benefits, it makes sense to avail the tools available online in order to optimize the results and improve speed maximize your efforts.