We spend more than half of our day in our office amidst our colleagues and if we sustain a decent relationship with our coworkers, our career would be joyful along with being financially fruitful. Some of us are really friendly and can make good relations with anyone but, some of us are not that good in this aspect. However, all of us can learn to be friendly with colleagues with a little effort and by following these few tips.
- Have a good start: We should always remember to start a new relationship on a good note. Although building strong and good relationships take considerable time, they always start with the first meeting of a person. Whether we join a new job or a person has joined our organization, the first meeting with a coworker should always be pleasant to build a strong long-term relationship. We ought to start the conversation with a genuine smile and offer help to a new joinee and if we are new to a place and are being offered help, we should accept it graciously and invite or join others at lunchtime.
- Give and take respect: Our relations with our coworkers are based on mutual understanding and respect we have for each other. Whether we become good friends or not, we need to become good colleagues and for this, we need to respect the other person’s ideas and avoid doing things that may offend them. Giving due credit to the other person for the work done, avoiding things that annoy our coworkers if they are fair enough are some things that demonstrate our respect for them.
- Follow good office etiquette: Good manners are a prerequisite for any successful relationship and it is so for a great relationship among colleagues. We should always behave courteously with all our coworkers irrespective of their position in the office. We ought to remember to keep our voice low and conduct personal conversations privately so that the privacy of the other person is not offended. We should learn proper email etiquette, phone etiquette, chat etiquette, and table etiquette to maintain a warm relationship with our coworkers.
- Be optimistic always: Approaching life and work with optimism is the best way to make great friends and relationships at the workplace. People generally like those who are positive and spread positive vibes. Even on a gloomy day for us, we should spread positivity by approaching people with a genuine and warm smile.
- Be reliable: We must ensure that we are dependable and follow rules so as to keep the morale of all the coworkers high. Also, it is important that we should always stick to our job and not poke our nose in others’ job.
- Avoid controversial topics: As colleagues, we may get along with others well. However, we should be cautious of not bringing up topics that are controversial or make the other person uncomfortable and may result in unnecessary arguments or tension at the workplace.
- Avoid gossips: Gossips at the workplace are a major hurdle in building good relationships with coworkers. Listening to gossips and spreading them will make us unreliable and misleading. Hence, we should consciously avoid spreading gossips and mingling with people who spread gossips.
We should try our best to make our workplace a happy and comfortable place by building good relationships with our coworkers because happy spaces improve our productivity and give us credibility.