It is in the nature of human beings to form teams and that’s the reason many people like to work in teams. Whether one likes to work in teams or not, one has to be a team player for professional growth because many things can be accomplished only with the unified efforts of multiple people. Team building is an important aspect of an organization’s success and it is really important for the organization to have high performing teams that work towards the organizational goals in unison. A team that is low performing or poorly managed creates troubles rather than bringing in greater productivity and hence, it is essential that the management focuses on its teams and team building skills. An employee, who is a great team player and builds high-performing teams, will be valued a lot by the organization. Here are a few tips that help in developing and becoming a part of a successful team.
- Clear goals: Great team members set clear and concise goals that are agreed upon by all the members. They chalk out a clear plan about the way they are going to achieve their goals with the precise definition of roles and responsibilities of the team as a whole and the contributions every team member has to do individually.
- Communication: Communication plays a significant role in teams and team members should always communicate their thoughts clearly and openly. Each and every team member should have an equal opportunity to speak out their opinions and ideas without any discrimination. This will help in smooth workflow and achieving higher productivity.
- Contribution: For a team to be successful, each team member should contribute one’s share appropriately so that the workflow is not affected and other team members are not overburdened with somebody else’s work. Team members of a successful team are committed to their work and do their best to accomplish the team goals and ultimately organizational goals.
- Support: An interesting aspect of highly productive teams is that the team members are truly supportive of the other members who need a helping hand. These team members not only support their own team but also assist other teams in the organization when their help is needed. This enhances the credibility of the team and the management is also ready to provide any kind of support the team requires by providing the resources it requires.
- Diverse: It is usually seen that the teams that have members with diverse qualifications, experience and skill sets can bring in more efficiency and effectiveness to their work because each member comes with a unique skill set and strengths that meet the different team requirements.
- Fun: Great teams work hard and party hard. Intense work sessions without proper breaks lead to burnout and stress. Teams that work hard also know how to enjoy as teams as they take time off to socialize and have some fun. Get-togethers outside office timings and premises strengthen relationships among team members and minimize conflicts that lead to better outcomes.
It is a fact that high performing teams are great assets for an organization and hence, every individual should work towards becoming a good team player. With coordinated efforts, teams can accomplish those goals that individuals can’t. Let’s all build a great team together.